Turkiye has sought an international arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, accusing him of “genocide” for Israel’s attack in May on activists aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla for Gaza.

In a post on X on Friday, Turkish Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said arrest warrants had been issued on July 14 for Netanyahu and another suspect. Charges included genocide, crimes against humanity and torture, as part of a case against 35 people over the Israeli interception in international waters.

“In line with the arrest warrants issued against Benjamin Netanyahu … our justice ministry has requested that ⁠the interior ministry issue [Interpol] red notices for them so that they may be sought ⁠internationally,” Gurlek said.

Turkiye will use all available legal mechanisms to ensure Israel is held accountable for its crimes in Gaza, he added.

NATO member Turkiye has been one of the fiercest critics of Israel’s genocidal war ⁠on Gaza and has previously issued domestic arrest warrants for Netanyahu over its attacks.

Turkiye has also repeatedly called for international measures against Israel for what Ankara calls its violations of human rights and international law. Israel denies those charges.

  • Doorbook@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    17
    ·
    19 hours ago

    It seems like Israel and Western allies are trying hard to link all the genocide on the scapegoat, including Ben Gavier guy, who been working hard to look worst than Netanyahu so Netanyahu looks like a better option to run the government.

    So let’s not forget the Nuremberg principles:

    The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him.

    Soldiers, politicians, business should also be hunt down