Turkiye has sought an international arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, accusing him of “genocide” for Israel’s attack in May on activists aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla for Gaza.

In a post on X on Friday, Turkish Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said arrest warrants had been issued on July 14 for Netanyahu and another suspect. Charges included genocide, crimes against humanity and torture, as part of a case against 35 people over the Israeli interception in international waters.

“In line with the arrest warrants issued against Benjamin Netanyahu … our justice ministry has requested that ⁠the interior ministry issue [Interpol] red notices for them so that they may be sought ⁠internationally,” Gurlek said.

Turkiye will use all available legal mechanisms to ensure Israel is held accountable for its crimes in Gaza, he added.

NATO member Turkiye has been one of the fiercest critics of Israel’s genocidal war ⁠on Gaza and has previously issued domestic arrest warrants for Netanyahu over its attacks.

Turkiye has also repeatedly called for international measures against Israel for what Ankara calls its violations of human rights and international law. Israel denies those charges.

  • 3abas@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    12
    ·
    20 hours ago

    They would deny it’s mass murder if that was the big accusation.

    There’s no real debate, all genocide and even Israeli Holocaust historians have called it a genocide, all legal experts on genocide have called it a genocide, and of course your own lying eyeballs have shown you the intent they displayed. We’re not debating facts, it’s all the experts on one side and all the guilty parties and their AI and their captured media on the other side.

    You can have Raz Segal describe it as a textbook case of genocide a few days into it, and you still have disgusting reporters shutting people down on air to claim factually there’s only a genocide against Jews today.